rlogin, telnet connections timeout

Hi,
I have a Sun Ultra 5 desktop with Solaris 8. When I telnet/rlogin into any other host, the connection closes after few hours of inactivity.
I also have another Windows box which I use rarely. But when I telnet/rlogin into the same hosts using putty, the connection stays for days without any activity.

I think there is some setting in my Solarix desktop which is dropping connections. Can someone help me?

Thanks in adv.
--gsb

Any comments?This is very important for me :(--gsb

Check your Solaris server in the /etc/default/login file.
Check the entry on TMOUT. Or simply comment out the entry for it not to take effect

Thanks for your reply.
The only things in the server's default login file which are uncommented:
PASSREQ=YES
ALTSHELL=YES
SYSLOG=YES

Also, as I mentioned in my first port, when I telnet using putty from any Windows machine or even from any other unix box, the connection stays open for days. Its when I telnet/rlogin from my solaris desktop that the connections timeout. So I think it has to do something with my desktop, rather than the servers.
And yes, this happens for all the servers. I mean that if I have 4 telnet connections opened with 4 different servers, they all timeout after few hours.
I am not able to keep my windows open over the night because of this.

Thanks in adv
--gsb

i'm not sure if its on the app level or something deeper. however, you can always change some tcp/ip values:

ndd -set /dev/tcp tcp_ip_abort_cinternval <milliseconds>
ndd -set /dev/tcp tcp_time_wait_interval <milliseconds> 

the first is the time out and defaults to 3 minutes and the 2nd is the port reuse wait time.

not sure if any of this will help.

So... did the ndd settings worked fine? :wink: