RLOGIN giving problems.

Hi,

I am using RDIST to sync /interfaces directory between two systems say ukblx176 (source) & ukapx063 (target), but when i do rlogin ukapx063 from ukblx176 its asking for password (i dont want it to ask password). when i do rlogin ukblx176 from ukapx063 its doesnt ask for password. ukapx063 happens to be Disaster Recovery system of ukblx176 (which is production system). There are many similar users on each system (say eu3adm, khzs228 etc.) when i do rlogin ukapx063 from ukblx176 (with user ID khzs228) it allows but it doesnt allow only with eu3adm.
I have checked .rhosts on both $HOME & made an entry like + ukblx176 eu3adm in ukapx063.

I got the solution for this i need to make an entry in /etc/hosts.equiv file of the target machine as hostname userID (e.g. ukblx176 eu3adm).
This file is used to make entries for the systems/users for which trusted logins are allowed.

Anyways thanks for the concerns.

Regards,
Vishal

I hope you are aware that now all the users on that system is allowed a login w/o password challenge. If you are looking for only a specific user, you should make use of .rhosts. If you need more security , you should think of using ssh with a public key generated for a specific user.

Regards,

Kaps

Any sort of security, actually. Using the rsh/rlogin family is highly discouraged, especially when you have ssh doing the same job.

i too was thinking of ssh (with keys).
can you suggest me how to proceed, may aim is to synchronize one filesystem called /interfaces.

Regards,
Vishal

If you are just looking to sync directories/filesystems, you can look at rsync. It works over ssh too.

hey blow,

i havent heard about this term rsync will that be better than rdist?
can you give me pointers to the documentation on it?
Please help.

Regards,
Vishal

I have never used rdist, so I cannot comment on whether rsync is easier to use or better or anything. Anyway, the rsync manpage is here. You could download depots and source here.

but i think we need to install this thing first, if this is the case then it will really be a difficult task to convince my client for this....