Retain file permissions when saving .sh file from internet [OS X]

Hello.
I have written a bash script that I am sharing with an OS X community I am a member of. The purpose of the script is to execute a series of commands for members without them having to get involved with Terminal, as it can be daunting for those with no experience of it at all. I have renamed the file from .sh to .command, as this allows you to execute it by double-clicking the file in the OS X file manager.
The file saves itself from my script editor [Smultron] with read and write permission only, and not executable permission; I use chmod 755 {file} to give myself execute permission, and then upload the file using ftp. Connecting to my server with ftp I then find that the file permissions have changed back to read/write, so I again use chmod in the ftp shell and change the permissions again. I thought this would have prevented the following problem, but I guess not-
When I, or anyone else, saves the file from the public domain folder I have hosted it in, the permissions are back to not being executable. Of course, this can be fixed with chmod +x, but that rather defeats the purpose of the script if they have to get involved with Terminal at all.

Could anyone please suggest a way to resolve this issue, ie how can I get the file to have persistent executable permission for all? It's driving me nuts at this stage.. I've put quite a lot of effort into the script.

Thanks

Not likely with ftp. Even if your receiving system had a umask of 0000, the file would not have execute permission.

You could try to use rsync over ssh. rsync has an option to preserve file permissions (-p).

They're not downloading it by ftp though, they're just using Save Link As in Firefox or whatever.

After you change the perms, try tar/gzipping the file.. Then they could download it, unzip and it may have execute still...Not tested, but should work.

Delightful. That works perfectly. Not ideal, but will do for now :b: thanks