Restore from Flash Archive on local filesystem

I am doing a practice restore using a test UNIX(Solaris) system, and a SCSI Hard Drive whose slice 5 contains the Flash Archive file that I need to restore from.

The test system is offline( no network ) and does not have external devices, such as tape drive. My goal is to somehow restore the flash archive to the test system.

What I have done so far is to insert the backup hard drive into the test system, run probe-scsi at the "ok" prompt, and see that it is recognized, which it is.

However, when I boot from the Solaris 10 installation DVD and select "install from flash archive" and then select "local file" , I am at a loss as to how to populate the "file path" field.

Is there a way to make a mount point for the filesystem containing the flash archive, mount it, and then point the installation program to the flash archive file?

From probe-scsi output, here is the device with the desired flash archive file:
Target 2
Unit 0 Disk SEAGATE ST373207LSUN72G 045A 143374738 Blocks, 70007 MB

exit the installation by pressing the mentioned F button (F3 or F5?) and enter the shell. mount you device to /mnt (mount -F ufs /dev/dsk/cXt2d0s5 /mnt; X = your controller number, format should tell you the right number) and then go back to the installation by enter install-solaris (if i remember right?!).
now you can give the path to the archive in the install screen -> /mnt/your_archive.flar

I discovered if I get to the OK prompt, I can type "boot cdrom -s"

it comes up in single user mode, bringing me straight to the root prompt ( no installation app runs )

from there, "iostat -En" got me my flash archive drive's device id, and I mounted it at /tmp/a

Now, I need to figure out how to start the installation program so that can restore from the flash archive on /tmp/a

Any ideas? I've been looking around the installation DVD but haven't found anything similar to autorun. init 5 might do the trick, though.

Anyone? The command to restart the installation is the last piece of the puzzle that I need.

i guess you never read post #2?

I did but that command did not do anything. so perhaps it is different on Solaris 10?

what did the prompt say when you ran install-solaris? im pretty sure that is right too?

did you run it as ./install-solaris and were you in the directory of the cdrom where install-solaris script is? if i am not mistaken i believe it is in the s0 directory of the cdrom. Also, you dont have much of a$PATH setup when you are using the cdrom. Could be that it does not know where the install-solaris script is.

Correct me if I am wrong but don't you use the luupgrade command whenever you are installing from a Flash Archive?

luupgrade is for "liveupgrade". the flasharchive is just an os image...

For whatever reason(I'm not complaining ) the "install-solaris" command started working. Here is what happens now:

1. I tell the system to boot from cdrom
  2. System boots from dvd and starts the intallation process
  3. I answer the minimum # of prompts to get the the "exit" option.
  4. I exit the installer, and mount the slice the has the flash archive on it.
  5. I execute "install-solaris" to restart the installation process.
  6. The output of the installer script is:
    Please reboot the system.
    There are inconsistencies in the current state of the system
    which only a system reboot can solve.
    Solaris installation program exited.

Which puts me back at 1). This would be an infinite loop if it were an application.

Do I need to run fdisk/newfs on all of the existing partitions? I was under the assumption that the installer would give me the opportunity to do this before it actually restored from flash archive.