Restore and upgrade concurrently

I have serveral servers that are at AIX 6.1 tl4 sp1 and want to move them to new hardware and upgrade them at the same time. Using NIM and sysback images I want to backup the current server with sysback and restore it and upgrade it to AIX 6.1 tl4 sp6 to the new hardware using my NIM server. My NIM spot and lpp has the latest service pack level I require AIX 6.1 tl4 sp6. Is there any way to restore the server whose backup image is AIX 61.tl4 sp1 and get it to take the updates at the same time? So after the restore my server is at AIX 6.1 tl4 sp6.

Thats a negative daveisme.

Plus in imo, its probably best to split it up in two different pieces.
On a plus side, with a decent nim server and seemingly new hardware the SP updates should be relatively fast like in 10 minutes.

It seems like somewhere along the line, I had heard at a conference that you can do this. I don't know for sure if this will work or not, but you could try and do this:

smitty nim --> 
Perform NIM... --> 
Install and Update... --> 
Install the Base Oper... --> 
target machine --> 
mksysb --> 
target machine mksysb --> 
spot for TL4 SP6 --> 

Change the following:
- LPP_SOURCE --> your TL4 SP6 lpp_source
- Accept new license agreements --> yes
- Initiate reboot and installation now? --> no

Then boot your LPAR from its network adapter with the NIM server configured in the SMS menus. I think this should work.

Due to the "ACCEPT new license agreements" in the smit menus, you must be able to install some sort of new software, otherwise, what is the point of that option?

This is standard practice with NIM for several years now. It is the nim_move_up process and it is documented in the NIM from A to Z redbook.

2 Likes

I guess i learn something new everyday. Thanks shock