Resizing and repartitioning NTFS with gParted?

Sorry that this is slightly OT, but in my defence, I intend to install Linux (and probably others).

I just bought a new computer with Windows Vista preinstalled; and though there is no love between me and MS, I would like to keep it (I paid for it after all). I have 2 x 500GB HDD. The extra disk has one large NTFS partition, but as it's empthy, so I can handle that one. The main disk however, has one large partition (455GB) with Vista, and one small partition ("Recovery") of 10GB -- all in NTFS.

As the large partition is mostly empthy; I would like to resize (shrink) it, and put one or two new partition(s) between the two existing one -- one of them being the extended partition.

I have a gParted live CD, so I was thinking about using that.

My questions:
*Is it possible to shrink a NTFS partition with gParted, and create a new (extended) partition between the existing ones?
*Must I prepere the partition I want to shrink... e.g. defragment it?
*Do I risk (with gParted) to shrink it too much, and corrupting my files?
*Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of?

I've googled it, and it seems that often Vista refuses to boot after it's partition has been resized...:
*Is this a problem? Personal experiences...
*Can I prevent it from happening?
*If it happen, how can I recover from it (preferbly without reinstalling everything)?

I recommend that you use the Vista Shrink Volume tool.

Note that sometimes this tool does not work because because there are immovable system files at the very end of the volume, typically the MFT, or Master File Table for the volume.

Do a Web search for "Vista Making Shrink Volume work" and you will find instructions for how to deal with this issue.