Reset Password

Installed Solaris 11.3 Gnome Desktop

It wouldn't let me log on at lock screen after first reboot.

It finally relented and let me in after about 20 logon failures.

How do I reset password now that I am in?

It finally let you in because....? You finally entered the correct password? (It would be mega scary if Solaris had the same bug as the the recent macOS one, unlikely as a root passwd is enforced in all sensible *nixs!)

Confused about your request. You can't reset the password with the passwd command?

Scott

Did not write down password. Oops!

No.All logon attempts were failures.

I'm in now. How do I reset password?

Bob

Excuse my continued confusion, but I'm still, err, confused :slight_smile:

How did you get in? With a different user? From the console? You had an epiphany?

The passwd command is the usual way to reset a user's password (unless I missed something, or banged my head ;)) Who's password did you forget? You can change your own password with passwd, unless you're root, in which case you can change anyone's. If it's root's password you forgot then you need console access (which, if you are root, I presume you have). If you "are in", use passwd to change the password before you "get out".

On Solaris 11 the only (initial) logon is the user account that you gave during the installation. You cannot login as root which, by default, is set as a role (NOT a normal user). By default, the normal user account must sudo to root when needed.

Where you trying to login as root? Or the normal user name you gave at install time?

1 Like

Scott

Passwd worked.

It is a little edgy not seeing any dots while you type in new password.

Thanks!

Bob

I forgot about all that role stuff (try to avoid Solaris these days ;)). Good info, thanks!

'normal user name you gave at install time?'

Yes. That one.

Thank you.

Will dig into 'Root' situation later.

Easy enough to convert root from a role to a normal user account that you can login to (if you want to negate the security improvements of Solaris 11).

In Solaris 11, root is defined as a role by default. Meaning you can no longer login as root. You have to login as a user and assume the role to elevate your privs to root.

Appreciate all the help.

Pulled the plug on using Unix.

Did learn something. You can see where all these Linuxes came from.

In the future it looks like BSD with a Gnome desktop is the way to go.

Solaris looks like it's a proprietary system.

Like the IBM OS if it's still around.

Happy Holidays!:slight_smile: