Reserve Failed error for HD

Hi Guys,

Anybody come across this error when formating a harddisk. "Reserved Failed"

Supected hardisk failure, is my assumption correct.

Thanks

Well, I'm not sure. I have been looking at the source code for format. It looks like the format program issued a SCSI Reserve command to the disk via a uscsi ioctl() call and this failed. Previous to this, the format program issued a SCSI Inquiry command which succeeded. Looking the SCSI-2 Standard, it does not look like the Reserve command will actually do I/O. And you can do an Inquiry while another Inititator has a device reserved.

So I am guessing that somehow the system thinks that the drive is reserved. This could be legitimate if the SCSI chain connected to two hosts in a cluster or something like that. Maybe the drive just is in a confused state... a power cycle is susposed to reset any reservations. Maybe the drive is broken is some way that makes it always look reserved. Few of us actually ever use the "format" menu item in the format command, so maybe it has a bug.

But I would try some other stuff before I conclude that the drive is bad.

Hi

How can I confirmed what went wrong.......

Any remedy to test it out...

Thanks very much...

Don't know really. Power cycle it for one thing...does that message go away. Try some other options in the format command. Try to use the disk without formatting.

When a disk goes bad, my boss takes it out of the system and smacks it on his hand a few times. Incredibly, that works about 60% of the time. He calls it "percussive maintainence". :eek: No, I am not making that up. But I will understand if you don't believe me. I have watched this ritual for eight years and I still don't believe it myself.

I have never seen that message, but have to ask if the system is part of a cluster.

I have also used "percussive maineainence" to get a disk to spin up long enough to dd the data to another disk. It will either work or it won't.

How to reset counter hardisk for zero error messaage,

ex:
lsav.V7.8 TBS6 ] $ iostat -En | grep -i error
c0t0d0 Soft Errors: 514 Hard Errors: 168 Transport Errors: 614
Media Error: 138 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 29 Recoverable: 514
c0t6d0 Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 1 Transport Errors: 0
Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 1 Recoverable: 0
c0t8d0 Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 1 Transport Errors: 3
Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 1 Recoverable: 0
rmt/0 Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 0 Transport Errors: 0

i have been replaced for new hardisk and i think hardisk back to normal but
still have error message , how to erase error message because i have one reboot for server .

thanks