Repair HDD with approporiate partitioning

Hi gurus, this is non standard linux question but I thing linux could help with this :slight_smile:
I have HDD (Samsung) which contains bad sectors (or clusters/blocks - dont know exact terminology). I downloaded official software for diagnostic (bootable CD with free DOS and utility) - and I executed low level format. BUT it returns me LBA (I am little confused with LBA) address which contains bad sectors.

My question is: Is possible to locate bad clusters and then make partitioning excluding those part of HDD which contains bad sectors ?
Example (The values are think out not real numbers):

lets say 160 GB HDD has addresses of lba from 0 to 160000 LBA
now lets say that at 120000 LBA is some bad cluster
so i wuld like to create 2 partitions from 0 - 110000 LBA and from 130000 LBA - 160000 LBA
so lets say sizes of partitons would be 110 GB and 30 GB.

I hope I explain clear what I am achieving. - Could you please point me to some tutorial or something like that.
Thanks a lot

For your drive to have any visible bad sectors, at all, means your drive has run out of spare sectors(i.e. several % of the drive has failed) and is dying. This isn't the bad old days when drives came with defect lists.

Yes I know that the HDD wont be 100% anymore but I have finnaly found that I have been looking for but it is utility for M$ called HDTune

You're not listening. This isn't the bad old days when drives came with defect lists. Drives these days handle their own defects and replace bad sectors with "spare" sectors when necessary, there's a large number of spares available -- up to several % of the drive. You don't see bad sectors at all until it runs out of spares.

So, for there to be a bad sector visible to user software, there must already be thousands and thousands of bad sectors. Your drive is dying. You can't trust the "good" parts either.

1 Like