Remove older kernel

I upgraded from 2.6.32 to the 2.6.37.4 kernel and i 'm now booted from the new kernel .. but the size of the root file system / is increased substantially due to /usr/src .. and the new kernel is working fyn for us .. so i would like to remove the older kernel .. i tried to remove the 2.6.32 kernel package but it has lot of dependencies .. is there any simpler way to do it ?

How about?

rpm -e kernel-2.6.32

yep i did try that but that has lot of dependencies which further has dependencies .. which is making it difficult :frowning:

rpm -e kernel-2.6.32 --nodeps
will do ?

You can remove just the kernel without the deps with the above example but that won`t free up much space. You should carefully look trough the dependences that will be removed with the obsolete kernel if they are obsolete too(not required by any current service you use) you can safely remove them - BE VERY CAREFUL!

p.s. The kernel-2.6.32 is not the full name of the package use

# rpm -qa | grep kernel

to find the full name of the package and try rpm -e with the full name
Also usually if there is a lot of dependencies you`re trying to remove the current kernel :slight_smile:

so you guys means there's no way that i can free up space taken up after the kernel installation rt ?

Does

# yum clean all 

Helps?

And yes you can free space by removing old kernels and packages, but you have to be careful.