remote hosts and wide output?

Hello forum:

I am curious about some output that I get using an alias <command> on a remote host and I wondered if someone could point me in the right direction.

Symptoms:
Using "ssh -qi /path/to/key root@som.ipa.ddr.ess mail" (or variation of via alias)
only gives a partial textual display/output.

Output of "bacula mail" from my local machine.

U  1 root@localhost.local  Sat Nov 26 02:10  64/3322  "Bacula: Backup OK of "
U  2 root@localhost.local  Sat Nov 26 05:05  64/3332  "Bacula: Backup OK of "

vs. running it ON the host itself...

U  1 root@localhost.local  Sat Nov 26 02:10  64/3322  "Bacula: Backup OK of c9bacula-fd Full"
U  2 root@localhost.local  Sat Nov 26 05:05  64/3332  "Bacula: Backup OK of JJs_Web Differential"

I am hopeful that it is an environment setting I can dial in.
My hostOS is OpenSUSE 11.4 Gnome2.32.x
Target OSs/hosts vary but output is similar.

Thank you for your time.

What shell are you using? I guess bash? Can you print paste the output of the "env" command?

Once you ssh to a remote machine, your environment changes accordingly and there should not be any difference between the outputs you get from ssh session and physical console session. Could be an issue due to character set encoding!! Just wondering!!

Local env output

the env from my bacula host:

ula env 
SHELL=/bin/bash
SSH_CLIENT=xx.xx.xx.xx 52843 22
OLDPWD=/root
USER=root
LS_COLORS=
MAIL=/var/mail/root
PATH=/usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
PWD=/etc/bacula
LANG=en_US.utf8
TZ=America/Los_Angeles
HISTCONTROL=ignoreboth
SHLVL=1
HOME=/root
LESS=FiX
LOGNAME=root
CVS_RSH=ssh
SSH_CONNECTION=xx.xx.xx.xx xx.xx.xx.xx 22
LESSOPEN=|/usr/bin/lesspipe.sh %s
HISTTIMEFORMAT=%F %T 
G_BROKEN_FILENAMES=1
_=/bin/env

Thank you for helping.

---------- Post updated at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous update was at 08:02 PM ----------

Good guess, bash all hosts

bump?

Can you compare the output from "env" with that when directly logged in? I'm wondering about $TERM and $COLUMNS.
Also try the same with the "alias" command.

Long shot is to use the "-n" switch to "ssh" as it cures all sorts of funnies.

Methyl:

Thanks.
Remote:

hostname && echo $TERM && echo $COLUMNS

c9bacula
linux

Local:

hostname && echo $TERM && echo $COLUMNS

My-Kungfu
xterm

env outputs are in Post #3.

I have manipulated the $TERM variable here locally and it didn't seem to help,

"-n " didn't help this.

Maybe your local terminal emulator is not set to "wrap" long lines and the output is actually there but you can't see it. Try redirecting the output to a file and check whether the characters are actually there.

Not clear what "mail" command you are actually issuing or where the "alias" comes from.

1 Like

methyl:

Ya know, after 18 years of this you'd think that I'd learn to live with some things?
It was an itch (almost-like the embedded terminal I 'had to have') that I thought I could scratch by flipping a bit or two.

Thank you for your help.