Regarding NFS mount point

Dear All,

We have two different mount points in Linux NFS one is 15 TB and another one is 15 TB.

Can we club both of the two mount points and club in to a single volume in Linux.

As we need to restore Database in that single volume.

Kindly help us on this.

Regards ,
rj

Hi,

Not quite sure what you are asking for here, can you clarify a little. Also it would be handy to know how these mount points were presented when they were backed up and what backup tool was used.

Regards

Dave

Dear Dave ,

No , the thing is i am getting two mount points of 15 tb and another also 15 tb from external sources...I wanted to get clarified whether we can club both the NFS volumes to a single volume

Hi,

Firstly I would say, you need to be a little more explicit here.

What is the OS of the machine providing the exports?

What is the OS of the machine where the NFS volumes are mounted?

You use the word "club" what do ypu mean?

You need to supply some information about the backups, what tool was used.

You'll have to supply more information.

You can certainly mount one NFS mount inside an other - very risky and will run VERY slowly - but it can be done.

You are going to have to be much clearer in what you want to do and supply a lot more information.

Regards

Dave

Dear Dave ,

OS is RHEL 5.5 in both the cases.

We have ORacle DB backup in Symantec Appliance , which is 25 TB.

We need to test the restore and check if DB is working fine or not.

But we have a Linux Server where we have so many disks of 800 GB Size , on calculating we have 27 TB of Space by adding all the disk space.

Now i want to know , can i create a logical volume of 27 TB fully and mount it , so that i can try to restore and check.

Pl let me know if you need more info.

Thanks and Regards ,
Rj

Hi,

Much better, there is no problem with creating a volume of 27Tb and mounting it - you'll have to make sure that your testing can be done in isolation. So you should if possible sandbox the machine and data base.

The process I would look at is a simple JBOD using LVM to create a volume group that is big enough for the 25Tb restore - which will take some time I think. You'll have to install the netbackup client on the target host and restore.

Regards

Dave

As an aside - oracle does not like or work at all well with NFS mounts. You will get a bunch of false negatives. This behavior results from the fact that an NFS sometimes "comes and goes" on a short time basis. So luns or disks "disappear". ...Oracle freaks out. Regular file descriptors are not so picky.

Hi,

Did I miss something here? I thought that the 800Gb disks are local to the server!.

Regards

Dave

I thought it was an NFS mount....? Maybe we both need more coffee.

@gull04 & @jim_mcnamara

Hi Guys,

All I am going to do in this post is interpret the question (as see it).
I may contribute for real later.

The OP has Server A which has a very large Oracle dB - 27TB.
He has backup of this dB which he wants to restore, but NOT over the production copy.

He doesn't have 27TB available on Server A but Server B can offer 2 x 15TB NFS handles.

He is asking whether he can combine both these 'remote' NFS handles into one 30TB NFS mount locally.

That's the question; I think!!!!

Hi,

Think that more Coffee is needed here, from the users last post where he suggests that he can create a 27Tb LVM volume I had assumed that the disks were local to the server and that all that would be needed was a netbackup restore and then isolate the server from the production network and test.

Maybe we'll get some feedback and further clarification from the originator of the thread.

Regards

Dave