Refresh smb mounted volumes

I have found sometimes that the shell won't see updated folders on a smb share.

If I run a script (tsch), that checks the existence of folders:

foreach ITEM ( list of directories)
	if ! ( -e $ITEM ) then
		echo "$ITEM does not exist"
		echo ""
		set ERROR = 1
        endif

If the first time when this is run the directories don't exist, on subsequent runs it still reports the directory as non-existent, even when it has since been created.

Nothing seems to change this behavior - even hours later after the folders have been created. One thing will fix it tho - open up a finder window and navigate to that directory (or paste the path in "Go to the folder..."). Once the finder is there, the next run of the script will find that directory. But it still won't find the other entries, unless they were in the same directory path.

For the life of me I can't figure out how to get the shell to recognize these new paths. Restarting finder or Terminal doesn't work. Flushing caches doesn't work. Probably disconnecting and reconnecting the smb mounted volume would work, but that's a bit of a pain.

Is there any way to get the shell to refresh what must be it's cached copy of what's on the smb volume? I tried 'touch -ac' to no avail.

I've seen this occasionally before, but now I'm seeing it consistently with folders we have that are created by a Windows-based sync operation using uftp from a remote host. I don't normally have this problem with folders created by users of the same network.