RedHat Linux GUI Issues

hi all

i have installed Windows 7 first. then i installed linux on dual partations...

i am booting both of them through dual boot... but when i start linux its only working well with CUI, when i used commands like startx or changed the initd to 5 then its loading the GUI interface of RedHat Linux but its not visible clearly...
after reading some forums i tried to change the resolution settings... but its not working, my GUI of windows 7 is booting well...

awaiting reply...

thanks in advance...

Regards,
Nikhil Dethe

You may need to install graphics drivers for your system. You have given no details of hardware model or type.

You can not compare windows & linux, here. Can you give some details about the hardware you have? Specify the cpu & RAM.

and also tell us the graphics card or chip you have.

Also how did you try to edit the resolution?

Hi All

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 350 @ 2.27GHz 2.26GHz
RAM : 3.00 GB (2.87 GB usable)

Display adapters : Standard VGA Graphics Adapter

i have retrieved this information from Windows Login...
is this sufficient... if not then plz tell me how to find it???

one more thing...
i am able to boot in to linux graphics mode... but the vision is not clear at all...
by taking some efforts, i tried to go in

System >> Preferences >> Display

then i Changed the resolution to
1024 X 768
1366 X 768
800 X 600

but nothing is working...
and my lappy is 17 inch
for which windows 1366 X 768 is suitable...

Thanks alot...

What do you mean by 'not clear at all'?

Stretched?

Flickery?

On fire?

Everything is a tiny square in the middle of the screen?

Your laptop doesn't have a driver for graphics for Windows either. I think he's complaining about resolution. What model laptop is this?

The GUI output comes in a dark screen, which is not visible, after taking efforts to see, i can make out there is something on screen... by looking in that screen i tried to change the resolution... i guess my machine is lacking some graphics driver, but how can i install them... is there any solution to this...

And my laptops description is this...

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 350 @ 2.27GHz 2.26GHz
RAM : 3.00 GB (2.87 GB usable)

Display adapters : Standard VGA Graphics Adapter

actually i am having very very less knowledge of Linux so cant do much in this...

As pointed out, Standard VGA Adapter is NOT your device. That is basically letting you know there is no effective driver loaded. Find the hardware type of the chip.

run

lspci -vv

This is not going to be made any clearer for you. Without a hardware type, you are not going to move forward.

lspci may give a more useful description of your video card.