Redhat Clone

What is the best method to use to clone a Redhat machine, to ensure all software and config can be easily installed on new hardware?
Thank you!

See Redhat Knowledgebase article Clone / Duplicate a Red Hat Linux Server Installation on to a new server from an existing installation - Red Hat Customer Portal

1 Like

So are you are looking on Linux for something like an AIX mksysb, and HP-UX make_tape_recovery (Ignite) etc. so you can clone your server with your customisations, not make a bland new one with the same packages?

Aren't we all :rolleyes:

We have ours as guests under VMWare, so we can use those tools to take an image of the disk and build a new server from that. It's not pretty, but it works. Make sure that on first boot, you have disconnected the network from the cloned server else you will get conflicts.

I'm attending something that might talk about this in a few weeks, so I will let everyone know if it suggests anything that we can all use. :cool:

Robin
Liverpool/Blackburn
UK

Take a look at CloneZilla. I've used it a few times in it's early stages and it worked pretty well.