Redhat 9 installation problem

All,

I am trying to install redhat9 to my system. I have 26 GB of unpartitioned space,
and I do have xp-2 already installed on my system in c: .
I am using external DVD-RW to install linux. I have booted the CD, chosen Graphical mode and now installation frizzed with below message:

ehci-hcd 00:03.3: PCI device 1039:7002
ehci-hcd 00:03.3: irq 5, pci mem e080d000
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
PCI: 00:03.3 PCI cache line size set incorrectly (o bytes) by BIOS/FW.
PCI: 00:03.3 PCI cache line size corrected to 16
ehci-hcd 00:03.3: USB 2.0 enabled ,EHCI 1.00, driver 2003-Jan-22

I loaded default BIOS setting but still no luck. Anyone have any idea how to overcome to this?

Redhat 9 has a very old kernel, and probably doesnt support your hardware anymore. Do you specifically need Redhat 9 ? Or could you run a newer version ? Perhaps you could install a newer O/S (Fedora or openSuSE) and run one of the many Virtual Machine products and install Redhat in that. I use Redhat 9 in an VMWare image and it seems to work fine (used for application testing).

I hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply...

I do have redhat9 installer only(no other installer), so I would love love to install it. Also I am using AMd-Athlon(Asus K85-Mx ACPI BIOS revision1014) , so I think it is very OLDER one itself.

Really appreciate if their is another way to either install Redhat9 or a way to install Linux/Unix environment on my Machine.

---------- Post updated at 03:01 AM ---------- Previous update was at 12:56 AM ----------

I got the solution...There was an option on BIOS setting which needs to be disabled to overcome this issue.

I'm very curious what option that was.

The option on BIOS is :

Advance-->OnBoard device configuration--->UsB configuration-->Onboard SIS 2.0 divice....

1 Like

Masters,

I really need help here.... I had to format my system so my installed Linux goes away..

Now I am trying to fresh installation, but stuck at one point, did RND for 2-3 days but no luck, hence posting here....

I am stuck on the "installation method" step..As I am trying to install from external DVD wrtr so I have chossen "Hard drive"....Now in "Directory holding Images" I have given "/" ,"islinux", "images" ,"e:"(my dvd drive is E: on xp) , and some other option but no luck...Even I tried F2 option here but nothing happened..

Please let me know how I can start my instalation..I really messed up with this. :frowning: