Red Herring Fallacies: The Straw Man Argument

Tim Bass
08-07-2008 02:40 AM
According to our friend Wikipedia, the Straw Man argument is a red-herring fallacy where one party in a debate describes a position that, on the surface, resembles an opponent�s actual view but is easier to refute.* Then, in counterpoint, the debating partner attributes an easily refutable position to the opponent (for example, deliberately overstating the opponent�s position). Wikipedia says:

1. Person A has position X.

2. Person B ignores X and instead presents position Y.
    Y is a distorted version of X and can be set up in several ways, including:

1. Presenting a misrepresentation of the opponent�s position and then refuting it, thus giving the appearance that the opponent�s actual position has been refuted.
  2. Quoting an opponent�s words out of context - i.e., choosing quotations that are not representative of the opponent�s actual intentions.
  3. Presenting someone who defends a position poorly as the defender and then refuting that person�s arguments, thus giving the appearance that every upholder of that position, and thus the position itself, has been defeated.
  4. Inventing a fictitious persona with actions or beliefs that are criticized, such that the person represents a group of whom the speaker is critical.
  5. Oversimplifying an opponent�s argument, then attacking the simplified version.
  1. Person B attacks position Y.

2. Person B draws a conclusion that X is false/incorrect/flawed.
    This sort of �reasoning� is fallacious because attacking a distorted version of a position simply does not constitute an attack on the position itself.

For example, there has been some lively discussions recently around the notion that CEP is overhyped.

Debate:***** �CEP is Overhyped.�

Person A:** �CEP has been overhyped.�

Person B:**** �CEP is just hype.�

The point of the discussion by person A was to point out that CEP has been overhyped.* Person B has exaggerated this to a harder to defend position, �CEP is mere hype.� or �CEP is just hype.�

From the customer perspective, I don�t think that fallacies and red-herring arguments are good for CEP. * Believe me, if we could take an �out of the box� stream processing rules-engine and bolt it on to a network and insure a client it would detect complex fraud, or diagnose network faults accurately, and not put my entire professional reputation on the line, I would do it in a heartbeat.

It is not the speed of the an engine which makes a good CEP engine, it is the capability of the analytics to deliver high-quality, high-confidence complex event detection in real-time.

Source...