Recording X or VNC Activity to a Video File?

I have the need to record some step by step instructions to help with instruction in using Fedora Core 3. I was wondering if there are any ways to capture X or VNC activity to a video file. It can be any of the most common formats (MPEG, DiVX/ViDX, Ogg Theora, etc...) Does anyone know of any apps that can do this? Right now, my only option looks to be using a video card with a TV out hooked up to a capture card on another box and recording that way. Or... I could use the power of the "dark side" and download Windows Media Encoder to snag the Linux video screenshots with fullscreen VNC to a WMA file. Ideally I just want to do this on the Linux box itself without needing to go through extra rigamaroll.

You could try encoding the VNC session to SWF (Shockwave Flash) using vnc2swf.

Cheers
ZB

Xvidcap
a small tool to capture things going on on an X-Windows display to either individual frames or an MPEG video.

Thanks locustfurnace and Zazzybob. Those are both exactly what I was looking for. I don't know how I missed xvidcap in my searches. I never would have imagined something like a vnc2swf encoder though. I will probably give these both a spin to see which one can produce smaller files.