Rebooting a career

Apologies if this is not the correct place to post this.

I used to have a job supporting several custom applications that ran on Unix platforms. I used shell scripting, sed, awk, and SQL, but all on a pretty basic level. I also performed non-technical tasks like helping with project management, coordinating upgrades and writing documentation. I do not have a university degree and learned Unix on the job.

In 2008 I was laid-off and since then I've been working in a completely unrelated field. My current job is ending and I would like to get back into a Unix/Linux related position. It goes without saying that I need to upgrade/update my qualifications, but I'm not sure how to go about it. College? A private training program? Certification? I can afford some schooling but like everyone else my resources are not limitless. I would really like some advice on how best to use them.

Download one of the Linux Live CD's The LiveCD List Then you can practice without committing an entire pc to the process.
Read the questions submitted here, and try to answer them. Make a note of the ones you can't and then study those areas.
Is there government sponsored retraining assistance where you live?
Can you still get a reference from the 2008 employer?

The answer to both questions is no. All of the people I worked with are either retired or have moved on to I don't know where.

As for the LiveCDlist, that's a great suggestion for learning, but I think my bigger problem is going to be proving what I know to employers.

For employers to look at you, I recommend that you obtain well-respected certifications like RHCE and/or LPIC2/LPIC3, together with ITIL Foundations, CompTIA Security+ and CCNA.

That's a lot of certifications.

I was actually looking at CCNA and noticed they have a deadline of September 30th for the current exam version. Is 4-5 months a reasonable amount of time to study? I did of course take a networking class in college but it was a long time ago.

I have also looked at LPI and would say I know about half the material.