Rebooting 3 to 1 Cluster nodes.

hello Gurus,

My current set up is 3 to 1 Cluster (SUN Cluster 3.2) running oracle database. Task is to reboot the servers. My query is about the procedure to do the same.

My understanding is suspend the databases to avoid switchover. Then execute the command scshutdown to down the cluster and i'll be at OK prompt. Please help with the correct procedure.

Thanks in advance.

"scshutdown" will shutdown all nodes in the cluster at once. Is that what you want?

When all nodes are down you can restart them by typing "boot" at the OK prompt. After a "schutdown" there is no specific order to reboot the nodes. The first node up and running will start all resourcegroups, as long as they are allowed to run on it.

What do you mean with "3 to 1 cluster", a 3 node cluster?

If you want to shutdown and reboot the whole cluster at once, then yes scshutdown is your command.
If you only want to restart each of the nodes without having to shutdown your application, then you have to reboot each one of the nodes that is not running the app.
Failover the app and reboot the last node.

If you need to boot one of the nodes so that it does not join the cluster use

ok boot -x

This helps if you need to do some troubleshooting that does not involve the cluster.

HTH

Thank you all for your valuable suggestions....I have shutdown the cluster using the scshutdown and OK prompt, executed "boot"