Reading input from web into UNIX file

Hi,

Could someone let me know how to read input from a web page into a unix file.

I am writing my script in bash shell in Solaris version.

Thanks in advance,
ayarlaga.

Try wget or lynx -dump or w3m -dump

@RudiC
Thank you for helping me... Unfortunately, none of these commands work in my shell...

---------- Post updated at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous update was at 06:42 PM ----------

@All
Just trying to be more clear...
I am trying to read data into unix files from a web form once the form is submitted.
Could someone please help me out on this?

Thanks in advance,
ayarlaga

I assume you are using PHP as the server-side language, am I correct? And what do you mean by "unix files"? Plain text files?
Please provide an example of a web form that you will use and exactly what you would like to achieve.

even i was working on a front end that was developed using html. and i needed the form data to be passed as parameters to the unix shell script. for this purpuse i did it using a perl script since i didnot get any way of calling the shell script from html directly. so your form data 1st goes to the perl script and from the perl script i was sending it to the shell script.

Perl, PHP, or sh, it makes no difference; an HTTP server using CGI always passes the submitted data via the environment.

Regards,
Alister

can i directly call the shell script from a html page when a submit button is called bypassing the perl script?

If you would like a precise response, ask a precise question. An html page in a web browser does not directly invoke a perl script. I assume that what you mean is that when you click the submit button in the browser it sends an HTTP request to the web server. The web server then invokes an executable. If that's not the case, then you need to elaborate.

Assuming CGI is used to invoke a perl script, it could just as easily have called a shell script. That said, when using the relevant modules, actually implementing a CGI script is undoubtedly simpler in Perl.

There are many alternative protocols governing communication between a web server and a request handler. CGI, FCGI, and SCGI are three common server-agnostic examples. There are also web server-specific methods, such as Apache's mod_perl, mod_python, etc. Beyond these, there are programming language ecosystem-specific implementations, such as Python's WSGI.

Regards,
Alister