Read Only Permission after the space is full.

Hi,
Is there any chance that a file system that mounted on the server becomes read only when the space in that file system becomes full?
Regards,
Sreejith

i don't know of such kind of mechanism... not in a standard installation. maybe a scripted solution.

1 Like

Not because of file system getting full but file system ro situation could occue becaused of high I\O rate, bad hardware, incorrectcly configured storage etc..

File sysetm is generally turns read-only to save it self from potential damages.

1 Like

Might work using the # mount -o remount,ro option, run from a cron entry or a shell loop. Make very sure nobody is using the file system when trying to remount, e.g. by grep ping the output of lsof for it. Anyhow, this may not be sufficient, as e.g. editors open a file, read it, close it, and later try to overwrite it with the edited version - which then will fail, leaving users upset and helpless. Same is valid for applications running trying to update a logfile at intervals - they might fail and abort.
Me personally, I'm not feeling comfortable with that idea.

1 Like

Is there an error telling you it's read-only? If so, what is telling you that? An application?

Obviously you can't write new data to a full filesystem so a poorly written application could interpret the O/S's refusal to write as read-only error.

So, what's giving you the error?

1 Like

one application is trying to write to the same path, also i have one cron script which tries to clear sme dir/files in the same path. Even the cron scripts also getting the permission error.

Your last post suggests there is some kind of contention.

So is the filesystem really 100% full? Use a direct Solaris operating system command to tell you (not a script or application that may tell you lies). If it is 100% full can't you fix that first?

to clear the data periodically im using the cron job script. I cant clear all the files manually each time. The script will take care of that. It will decide whch file need to be deleted at whch time.

Well, your filesystem has filled up, so perhaps check if that's working.

check size of /var/adm/pacct esp. if you're using Solaris10.