rcp command

Hi friends,

Am trying to push a file on a remote server to my local host but getting "permission denied." error.

Please let me know the basic steps that i need to have a look at in order to let the "rcp" command work successfully.

Pl. Note:

Both the servers belong to Sun Solaris 10 SPARC family.

you have to put a .rhosts file in the $home directory on the remote and local server, which contains the remote hostname and the user who wants to connect to.

Tx for the reply.

I did the following

------On Local server $HOME/.rhosts----------------
remoteserverip remoteuserid
---------------------------------------------------

------On Remote server $HOME/.rhosts-------------
localserverip localuserid
---------------------------------------------------

chmod 777 given to .rhosts file on both the servers

After employing the abovesaid steps, i tried again, but got the same error"Permission denied."

Pls advice if i need to carry out any other required steps to get my desired result.

rgds,
Srini

All,

I know that i am missing something basic here. A quick help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

rgds,

Srini

Rule # 4:

(4) Do not 'bump up' questions if they are not answered promptly. No duplicate or cross-posting and do not report a post or send a private message where your goal is to get an answer more quickly.

Permissions on .rhosts should be 644 (on some systems 600) owned by the account concerned or (preferably) root. Many unixes will ignore a .rhosts file which has incorrect permissions as an anti-hack measure.

To emphasise the reply from "tahleen":
No IP addresses in .rhosts - it must be the exact host name and precisely match that server's entry in /etc/hosts.
See "man .rhosts".

Tip: If you put your own host name and username in .netrc in your home directory on your local computer you can test rcp to yourself.