rc scripts, do i need to kill them on shutdown?

We have a bunch of tools, that run on linux and on unix, I've got start up scripts that bring up their license managers when the unix box boots, do I need kill scripts for when the box is shutting down? I've not seen much documentation on this, just on getting the license managers started, but noticed my linux, that came preconfigured, has some kill (K30mysoftware.shutdown) scripts. Advice?
Thanks!:confused:

It would matter on what the script was starting/killing. You can go from multi user mode to single user without shutting down the server and coming back up to single user. I don't know many folks that do this - I believe it used to be to get clean dumps of filesystems. But the point is, if you did do it, then you would not want certain services/processes/daemons running that would allow folks access into your server while you were doing something that required a "quiet" system.

If you look at some of the "kill" scripts, you might notice that they are just looking via the ps command for a certain process and killing it or checking a xxxx.pid file for the pid that was last started for a certain service and killing that pid.

It is a matter of personal choice - if you ever had to clean up /tmp after folks failed to clean up after themselves, then you should program as if you were the one who has to clean up after everyone else. You remove your temp files and put kill scripts for your processes. Just my 2 cents worth.