Random File Selection and Moving

OK, I am stumpped. I have this shell Script that I want to randomly select a file with the extention of .sct. Then using a portion of its file name select the six related .mot files. Then move them all to another folder. I also need a user input form for the number of .SCT files to randomly select and move.
So I have a file structure like this:

123-12345-00.sct
123-12345-00.mot
123-12345-01.mot
123-12345-02.mot
123-12345-03.mot
123-12345-04.mot
123-12345-05.mot
123-12346-00.sct
123-12346-00.mot
123-12346-01.mot
123-12346-02.mot
123-12346-03.mot
123-12346-04.mot
123-12346-05.mot

And so on.

Need to randomly select the file .sct and move it and its related .mot files to another directory. Hopefully I have explained this good enough.
Thanks for the help. I could do this in VB but this UNIX thing has me stumpped. Right now we do it manualy through thousands of files.

So here is the script I want to use. It isn't working I can't get past the

if [ ! -d "$dir" ]; then echo "$0: $dir: no such directory"; exit; fi;
  #! /usr/bin/env bash
    dir="$1"
    count="$2"
    [ "$dir" ] && [ $count -gt 0 ] && {
           if [ ! -d "$dir" ]; then echo "$0: $dir: no such directory"; exit; fi;
           RANDOM=$$$(date +%s)                    #init random seed
           for (( c=0; c < $count; c++ )); do
                files=(*.sct)                       #creates array of sct files
                  ct=${#files[@]}                     #computes array length
                if [ $ct -eq 0 ]; then break; fi
                sct=${files[$[($RANDOM % $ct)]]}    #pick random file
                prefix=$(echo $sct | sed 's:\(.*-\).*:\1:')
                mot_files=($(ls $prefix*.mot 2> /dev/null))
                mv $sct $dir
            if [ ${#mot_files[@]} -gt 0 ]; then 
                mv ${mot_files[@]} $dir  #
            fi
            done
        } || echo "usage: $0 <dir> <num of files>"

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Scott

At first glance this scripts looks like working one. Try to simplify it (check for args at first and do the work at second) and debug it with bashdb. I'm sure if you can write this one by yourself you can easily debug it and find a mistake.

I appoligize. I reread my post and I want to make it clear that I didn't write this code. I got it from another site. I have been trying to make it work all day and I can't. I am very new to Shell Scripting and I am trying to use this to automate a very time consuming process. Sorry for the confusion. It has been a long day out here.

Thanks for any help you can provide. It appears that the code will not create the directory.

Scott

Insert set -x as the second line in your script, and please post the output. Maybe there's an error somewhere in there after all.

So the UNIX machine isn�t connected to an internet connection so I had to write it down and type it in to the windows machine. Thanks for the help.
Here is the output:

++ dir=$�\r�
++ count=$�\r�
++ �[� $ �\r� �]�
++ �[� �gto �]�
./random_select.sh: line 4: [:-gt:unary operator expected
++ �[� �!� �d$ �\r� �]�
: no such directory �lect.sh
:no such directory
++ exit

Are you using PuTTY to connect to that machine? If so, anything you highlight using the mouse is automatically copied to the clipboard.

Am I right in assuming that you called this script without parameters? And that you wrote it using Notepad? Because I'm seeing an awful lot of carriage returns (\r) here. On the command prompt, run

tr -d '\r' random_select.sh

to clear them out. How are you transferring the file? If by FTP, change the transfer type to ASCII to have the system do that automatically.

Pludi,

Thanks for the reply. I tried to send you a PM explaining the situation. Unfortunately I could not.

So:
Are you using PuTTY to connect to that machine?
No, i can not connect to that machine from my unclassified computer. I am doing the pen and paper drill.

Am I right in assuming that you called this script without parameters?
yes, just ./

And that you wrote it using Notepad?
Yes, i wrote it in notepad on the unclass machine and brought it over to the other machine.

How are you transferring the file?
They are for this conversation just in the file location on the UNIX machine.

Thank you for your continued support. When i get back in I will try the code you mentioned. Thanks

Scott