RAID in Hpux

Hi Folks

I need help related to HPUX i.e I have two HD's with 300 GB want to create raid1 and after that will create mount point. need details related to it i.e if someone can send step by step commands. will be obliged

Regards

HP-UX System Administration google for mirror . . . .

thanks but still unable to do it.
one question can I create mount point and then create RAID1 or first I should create RAID1 and then create mount point.
Disk are new showing in ioscan -fnC disk but its not claimed what could be reason.

disk 15 0/4/1/0.0.0.4.0 sdisk CLAIMED DEVICE HP EG0300FAWHV
/dev/dsk/c10t4d0 /dev/rdsk/c10t4d0
disk 17 0/4/1/0.0.0.5.0 sdisk CLAIMED DEVICE HP EG0300FBDSP
/dev/dsk/c10t5d0 /dev/rdsk/c10t5d0

what could be the reason?

---------- Post updated at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:24 PM ----------

As I plugged in the disk it showed the disk has been claimed as above. but after few mints its showing not claimed. see the output below
ioscan- fnC disk.

disk 15 0/4/1/0.0.0.4.0 sdisk NO_HW DEVICE HP EG0300FAWHV
/dev/dsk/c10t4d0 /dev/rdsk/c10t4d0
disk 17 0/4/1/0.0.0.5.0 sdisk CLAIMED DEVICE HP EG0300FBDSP

Are you creating LVM mirror? Or it has some kind of newer "smart array" card? I assume a standard LVM mirror. Use internet search for HP-UX LVM mirror, it's very basic.

smazshah,

• What is the model of your server. and OS version.
    $ model ; uname -a

-How you have connected the disk, are they connected in the front bay or are this SAN disks.

In first output it shows CLAIMED, c10t5d0 c10t4d0 that is good, however if the disks are not in CLAIMED state you can not use them for the task.

• After you have presented the disks, make sure you have executed :
# ioscan  ; ioscan -fnC disk 
# insf -e -C disk
  • Then check their condition:
# ioscan -fnH 0/4/1/0.0.0.4.0 ; ioscan -fnH 0/4/1/0.0.0.5.0
# diskinfo /dev/rdsk/c10t5d0  ; diskinfo /dev/rdsk/c10t4d0
  • Once above looks good , you can go ahead with RAID-1 mirroring.
    This is software mirror, you should have "MirrorDisk/UX " bundle installed with license.
    if you have MCOE os , then it ll be bundled with the OS.
    To check what type of OE you have you can use # swlist -l bundle | grep -i HPUX11

• If MirrorDisk/UX is ok, you can go ahead and do the mirroring of the disk RAID1.

Few steps outlined for having RAID1 filesystems on the two disk:

1. pvcreate both the disks. # pvcreate -f /dev/rdsk/c10t4d0

2. Create a volume group say vg01 , add the 2nd disk also. with vgcreate , vgextend

3. Create a Filesystem, that you want redundant. (RAID 1 ). with lvcreate and newfs

4. Proceed with mirror: Use lvextend -m 1 <lv_path> <2nd_disk>

5. check with lvdisplay -v <lv_name> , you will see 2 PE. in the LV. That means it is mirrored.

6. If one disk fails, your filesystem & its data, that was created per step 3, will be intact.