Raid 0 on database server

Hi guys.

if we want to use SSD drives on a database server, can we use RAID 0 configuration because of their reliability?

Raid 0 for database is not good option.
if you have enough resources .. its always good to go with raid 1+0
or raid 5.

1 Like

I would advise against RAID5 if performance is what you're after. RAID5 is known to be slow because of its design.
The answer also cannot be that simple, unless we know the DB type and the typical usage. You should also pick the best hardware based on the response, as you need to plan capacities.

With SSDs, really the only noticeable difference between them being in RAID 0, and being lone discs would be simplicity of just having one main disc, as opposed to a lot of different discs.

The only problem with RAID and SSDs is that AHCI mode needs to be enabled for TRIM support. Therefore, the RAID array will need to be declared in the OS, (the only OS that I've done it on so far is [cringe] Windows [/cringe] and that was a small nightmare) which can be done with mdraid. Also I've found that Linux doesn't even like to install onto a hardware-defined RAID array, I'm sure you could do it if you tried hard enough though, so you would need a separate boot disc for two reasons now (the OS defined array, and the Linux not liking RAID 0 instillations)

Another thing that should be mentioned is that although you are using SSDs, if you are making an OS defined array, the boot time will be drastically increased for every disc that you add to the array. However, this should not be all that much of a problem for a datacenter.

I hope this helps, good luck!