Quotas and NIS

Has anyone ever used disk quotas with NIS? I tried to implement it the normal way but since the users only exist in NIS and not in the local passwd file when i try the edquota command it cannot find the user.

Thanks

use the edquota command to set quota on the NIS master

I was running edquota from the master and getting the error that the user could not be found. I think it is looking for local users not nis users. The passwd and shadow file that i use to build the NIS maps with is not located in /etc but another place based on suns recommendation. The only thing i havent tried is to log on to the master server with a NIS admin account and run edquota. Ill give that a shot.

I don't think that is what sun recommended??

your passwd and shadow file should always be in /etc and passwd map file sholud be build in /var/yp/ypfiles

can users authenticate using NIS?

I got it working. The server was configured as a NIS master server and would accept NIS autenication request ,however, the server itself was not using NIS. I changed the nsswitch file to use NIS.

This is a quote from the Solaris 9 administration guide. This is why i placed my passwd and shadow files in another directory.

there's more on this page Oracle Help Center