Question on NMON - disable detailed disk statistics

Hi All,

The NMON file is getting generated with file size of more than 70MB for just 40 minute duration on AIX 6.1 box, due to more number of disks (Disk0, Disk1..., Disk22).
With respect to disk related details, I need to have only the disk summary, and disable the detailed disk statistics (tabs getting created for each of these metrics for 23 individual disks : DISKBUSY, DISKBSIZE, DISKXFER, DISKRXFER, DISKREAD, DISKWRITE, DISKWIO, DISKRIO, DISKAVGWIO, DISKAVGRIO, Etc), to reduce the nmon file size.
Can anyone please share me the nmon command for this !?

Thanks,
Raja

Any chances to share the cron command that's invoking nmon everyday?

You could also experiment with the possible options:
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en\#!/wiki/Not\+AIX/page/nmon\+Manual

Andrew86 and Zaxxon,

Thanks for the response.
I think this is the one that you are looking for... its the usual command that i am using is via the script: nmon -fT -s $1 -c $sample -F $nmon-file-name
It would be helpful if you can share me similar command to avoid/disable detailed mode of disk statistics!!...

Thanks,
Raja

We understood what you want - did you thought about consulting the documentation?

Yes Zaxxon, i didnt find anything in documentation (pretty much generic commands only), and also i did some googling earlier and have looked into few options, but the below 2 options looks to be online/interactive options and so cant be used in scripts :

1. -D prevents DISK sections being produced (useful when Disk Groups are being used because there are too many hdisks to process)
  2. To limit the disks that the nmon lists to a maximum of 64 (online only), use the -k flag with the diskname parameter. Example: nmon -k hdisk2,hdisk0,hdisk3
    since i am new to NMON not sure on these, thats why came to forums for help and looking for proper command.

Thanks,
Raja

Hi Raja,

i guess the main problem is a too short snapshot interval -s < seconds > .
We use in normal case a 5 minute intervall, which result in a 20MB file per day for 55 Hdisks.

To nearly prevent the detail statistics use the combination of -D -k <rootvg hdisk> .

Regards