Question about work

Hello 2 all!
Many of you (i think) work as sys.admins in different small or large corporations and so on.
That's why i've got a question for you:
What requirements usually nominate to you, when you'r searching a work?
Knowledge of what OS they want you to know?And what software?

And how do they (directors/somebody else with whom you pass interview) treat to admins from other countries? :rolleyes:

p.s. sorry for such english, i'm not from english-speaking country :cool:

It depends on what the job requirements are. A small shop might have the sysadmin taking care of the network, but in large organisations, there will be seperate teams for network, storage and systems.
Usually, you need to know atleast one of the OSes properly (commercial Linux versions/Solaris/HP-UX/AIX/etc), preferably two. You need to have an understanding of networks (even if you do not work on any networking aspects), esp addressing, subnets and such. A large shop will require you to have worked on at least one volume manager as well. Understanding storage concepts is also very helpful, and try to learn one major backup/recovery tool (HP-OpenviewDP, Netbackup, Legato).

I don't really get the question.

If they will have a good young admin with good knowledge (not me )) ) from other country and one from their country. Whom will they choose?

I didn't know this :frowning:

you mean, that people don't want to install free Linux distributions on servers. But on Internet I often see web-servers with Fedora Core or so on )

That's why, do you mean each admin must study anywhere to get such knowledge of this OSes? 'cause usually people can't afford them to install smth like HP-UX/AIX/Unix on their desktop/home machine (

p.s. And I must say, I know few education establishments, which will study us such OSes ((
And what is the middle age of such (with good knowledge) admins? )

That really depends on the regulations in place. And its not just 'how much you know' that matters. HR may have other requirements (experience, certifications, previous job patterns, such).

That's ok. You can start with Fedora or some such Linux version. Try to install the Linux LVM and learn how to use it. It is very similar to the HP-UX (that's what I've heard) LVM.

I don't get this either.

And another word. If you are just starting off, you will apply for a fresher/junior position so details like backup tools and stuff may not be a 'requirement'.

what's this?

yeah, you are right :wink: especially certifications an previous job, I think

i have already started :wink: but such distrs as Fedora don't attract me =)
I use now Gentoo and sure that it's the best of free Linux distributions.

i haven't heard of it, but as i know , LVM is a technology connected with hard disks and it's smth like Raid (?)
You can use this feauture in all linux distributions, as i know. Or am I wrong?
And what does Linux LVM in this case mean?

But at home I can't do such things as it will be in real (smth like connect some machines, configure smth like vpn or so on) :frowning:

Maybe you have some suggestions?

i mean that if the man/women? will hardly study all this questions (about programs/OSes, etc) he must spend many years for this and he will be at that time at least 35-40 years :frowning: IS it so?

And what about *BSD systems?
are they used on servers?

HR means Human Resource

BSD is of course used on servers.

Naturally they get paid less, which makes the directors happy and adds to their bonuses. However the foreign admin who gets paid less is still being paid more than the local admin who is now unemployed.

I had no formal UNIX training nor did I have a University education. I was always technically minded and installed Linux (a very early SUSE release) on a home system to play around with. I purchased a couple of UNIX books, and taught myself Linux and Solaris. Got my first break as a Junior admin by demonstrating my self-taught skills and knowledge at interview, and then just learnt on the job as well as building up a huge (O'Reilly) bookshelf and learning at home. I am now a Senior UNIX/Linux System Administrator looking after hundreds of Solaris and Linux systems for one of Australia's largest DNS/Web Hosting/Mail companies.

I suppose my points are:

• You can make anything you want out of your career if you're willing to work for it.
  • You don't need formal training. If you have a passion for the field, and aren't just learning it to "get the job", you'll pick it up. UNIX is a hobby for me, not just a profession.
  • It won't happen over night. I have years of experience under my belt, but never stop learning more. There'll always be someone who knows (much) more than you - learn from them - don't feel intimidated.

Just my 2 cents....

Cheers,
ZB

Hi,

Ok zazzy bob after reading your posted thread, it has no doubt that you could get what you wanted to, but actually as i earlier posted my thread for the first time on this Forum. Although i didn't have an idea that i don't have to mention my cell nor my email which by mistaken happened for which i am sorry to pressy probably the Moderator.

You mentioned that you didn't have any educational training, well it is highly motivated myself, but here the scenario is totally change. Simultaneously i am running my Job & part time my University regular classes and after that you know that once couldn't do other things. So therefore i searched out allot and could streamline that i have to line up my career coz only taken the Degree/Diploma/Certificate couldn't enough for once to be an expert or could even start on work.

All i want is on your part and as you mentioned allot which appreciably boost my moral, just give me a plan to be managed while keeping in view the scenario.

I would remain awaiting for your favorable response (All the Feasibility = PC Unix-Installation upto Network) in order to get started my work from the scratch to grip on UNIX.

I hope you could understand and getting my point.

SALEEM SHAH