question about sys-unconfig

Hi there,
We are trying to move our Sun Solaris 10 servers to new location (different state); the subnets will be changing ofcourse and so will the IP addresses; we plan to change hostname too.

Questions:
1)If we perform sys-unconfig will the current installed application/data be lost? If so, is there a way to perform this without having to do a re-install of the applications and losing data?

2)In case the answer to 1) is to install the machine from scratch is this a workaround; has anyone tried it before and does it work?

for ip changes edit the following files:

/etc/hosts
/etc/defaultrouter
/etc/netmasks
/etc/inet/ipnodes (if it contains the accordant entry for your hostname)

to change the hostname of a solaris system edit these files:

/etc/hosts
/etc/nodename
/etc/hostname.xyz (xyz stands for the corresponding network interface, such as bge0)
svcadm restart svc:/milestone/network:default

Thanks for the help!

You will not lose any application or data from a sys-unconfig, the exception being all your hostname and network settings.

So you're pretty safe doing a sys-unconfig.

Thanks dangral...

So after the sys-unconfig will I be taken to only "some" of the Solaris install screens where the subnet, IP address and hostname needs to be changed? In other words, how can I add my new network settings to the machine?

Do I need to do a manual reboot after making the changes?

Thanks

deedee

hi,

sys-unconfig requires reboot prior to perform any changes. The screen will guide you to change any machine specific hostname, ip/subnet, dns etc.

HTH.

Hi,
I am trying to configure a private LAN and a corporate LAN on the same machine in a network on Solaris 10

How to do this?

Thanks