Question about reserved memory

Hi!

maybe a stupid question but i recall fixing this issue before (or something similar),

On one of my frames I have a huge amount of reserved memory. 25GB to be exact. I am running out of memory and need to add a new lpar. I can't remember exactly how i fixed this issue before and it's starting to drive me nuts :wall:

anyone had any experience with this?

One thing I don't think I've ever known is how much reserved memory is really needed per lpar?

you need at least 512mb of memory for an AIX 6.1/7.1 lpar, 128mb (from release note, would rather give at least 256mb, don't know if 128mb is even possible for an lpar) for an AIX 5.3 lpar. but I guess this lpar has a purpose other than running an empty AIX, so you may need more

the reserved memory comes from the maximum memory defined in your partition profiles. So if you lower other lpars maximum memory, you can free up reserved memory.
but at a high cost of flexibility, remember: you cant increase the maximum memory online, so every increase requires a lpar to reboot

1 Like

hi thanks for your response. I will do some readjustments and post back what works.

Thanks!