Question about directory structure

I have a Solaris 9 system and was trying to familiarize myself with how the filesystem is laid out. I was wondering what the following directories were for (legacy, some administrative reason, etc)

The reason I ask about these specific directories is that they have executables with the setuid bit set and I was just wondering what their placement in the filesystem means their roles are. The executables in them don't really seem to have any rhyme or reason that I can figure out.

• Joel

I think you may want to start here this is for the first version of the SPARC 64 Bit Binaries.

So if I'm understanding the link properly, sunv7 is for 32 binaries, sun4u is for generation-specific binaries, and SUNW,Sun-Fire-V240 is for hardware-specific binaries?

I think that you are correct, where these are required I'm not sure - but as one of the big things about Solaris is Binary Compatibility over the whole SPARC range I'd be very reluctant to get in about these specific directories and change anything unless I'd spent a lot of time checking I wasn't going to break anything.

Regards

Dave

1 Like

Well for audit purposes I have to CYA myself. They have setuid programs which is one of our audit goals (to get setuid/setgid to be used as little as possible) but I promise to be careful. :slight_smile: