Purify : command not found

I just installed IBM PurifyPlus on IBM AIX 5.3 and they suggested me to run the command through the following one:

% purify cc -g hello_world.c

but it's giving me the message that :

purify command not found

I need your help

Thanks In Advance

If it is installed, it might not be in the path.
You can try locating it with:

lslpp -f | grep purify

When you found it, you can add the directory to your PATH or just call it with the absolute path.

1 Like

Thanks Zaxxon for your answer ..
I didn't mention that I'm so new to Unix system, I will really appreciate if you show me exactly what I have to do to "add the directory to the PATH"
I tried the command

lslpp -f | grep purify

but it didn't give any result

---------- Post updated at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:42 AM ----------

I just find out how to do it (to add the directory to the PATH) but it still displays the same message :

purify : not found

any ideas ?

I suspect it means what it says -- the command is not installed.

1 Like

Thanks Corona688 for your reply , but I don't think that's the problem, because I had this message after installing Purify :

The rs_install command completed successfully 

---------- Post updated at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:47 AM ----------

thanks a lot , it's working :slight_smile:
I added a wrong directory :smiley:

1 Like

When lslpp did not display anything, it seems it is not handled by the AIX package manager.
It seems to be plainly installed into a filesystem/directory.

When installing this software, was there any question by the setup, in which place it should be installed?
Or maybe it wrote a log of it's installation run. Sometimes such are somewhere in /tmp.

If the setup (rs_install?) might be a script, you could have a look in there, if there is a default path being used for installation.

1 Like

Yeah that's right , I created a directory for the installation ..I added the ../bin to the PATH and now it's working ..

could you please explain what's the AIX package manager ? and how it works ,?

It is a set of tools which are used to install and maintain software installations, updates etc. It needs them in a compatible format to be able to do this.
You can compare it with for example rpm, yum, dselect, ... which you might know from Linux distributions.
It keeps a database/list of installed software, including a history with timestamp, version numbers, all files a fileset brings etc.

There is 4 different terms of software in AIX that is being handled with the above:

LPP - Licensed Program Product; a complete product with all Packages and Filesets that are needed.
Package - A collection of Filesets.
Filesets - The smallest unit which is an archive that contains files. They usually have the file name extension ".bff" and are of archive type "backup file format" which is afaik similar to tar-archives.
Bundles - These are lists of themed software which comes consist of LPPs, Packages and Filesets.

The commands besides SMIT which are usually being used are:

• installp - Installs, removes, applies, commits, ... LPPs
  • instfix - Lists, installs, ... fixes which resulted from APARs (Authorized Program Analysis Report, ie. a more sophisticated word for bug report)
  • lslpp - Lists LPPs, contents, searches files in the database of installed products, etc., etc.
  • lppchk - Verifies files of an installable software
  • emgr - Lists, installs, removes, ... interim fixes, ie. hotfixes
  • bffcreate - Tool for creating installable images in the bff-format

Maybe start with lslpp -L| more exploring your installed software. You can also try a lslpp -w /usr/bin/ls to see which fileset contains ls .
With smitty install you get a shortcut to the software installation and maintenance menus, you can explore - but be careful not to crash something :slight_smile:

1 Like

WOW zaxxon it's really kind of you, you make it clear for me , I don't know what to say but I think "THANKS" will be the right word :wink:

No problem, you are welcome.
Were you able to find your tool purify ?

Hi Zaxxon,
it's all OK for now: I have installed it and I'm not getting "purify not found" error any more, but I can't test it, could you help me with this ?
I've opened a new thread here : http://www.unix.com/aix/246821-getting-error-when-instrumenting-c-program-purify.html\#post302899321