proxy DNS configuration

i have the DNS and the web proxy services running on one of my sun machines....the funny thing is clients use the proxy server by addressing it with its IP address only....what i need is to assign it like...proxy.amu.edu.et......
my guess is the problem is the configuration with the DNS ...but i dont exactly know what to do...or which files to configure...can somebody plz help me...

Not entirely sure what the question is, but sometimes with proxy situations you can modify the /etc/hosts file (or equivalent) to make the machine resolve itself as a external host to play nice as a proxy when the external world thinks otherwise (or similar trickery)

This also supersedes in most configurations a dns lookup so there is no need for runing internal and external dns servers until the /etc/hosts file needs maintaining because of the number of proxies your running or something.

hi there ! thnx for the answer ....and to make my question clearer i am kind of a newbie to the solaris unix environment...i had some introduction and some reading when i was studying for my electrical engineering degree and during my break time i remember deciding to get certified in solaris 10 and began to read ...but i couldnt make it...so what i have now is just the memo of those readings and some practical knowledges...and now i am working as a system administrator for a campus environment....and the former administrator kind of configured two fire v880 machines to give proxy,DNS and email and calendar services .....as i told you clients in the campus used a direct connection to the ISPs DNS server to get the internet before i came...i started up the machines( were down coz of skilled person shortage)....to give the services ( DNS,proxy,mail and calendar.) and now the clients can only use the proxy server in its IP version ( not in the form like proxy.amu.edu.et) ...and they also use the campus(not the ISPs) DNS as thier primary DNS server ....but cant access the internet if they use it in the humanly form(proxy.amu.edu.et)...{.but the DNS can resolve it}

to add some question hoping you know about the messenger ...the server is Sun Java(tm) System Messenger Express 6.2 server and as i told u the former administrator configured the system and funny thing clients couldnt send messages to each other...i checked the services the SMTP,POP..and other ports to be open and ready to accept ....i am confused ....
thanks for the great deal of time reading this and helping me out....