Prophet 21 acclaim system

I have a prophet 21 acclaim system (old) but is my life.. (small business)
Ibm risc sys/ 6000 43p-140

well anyway not much a forum guy but i need some help..

I have a message popping up that is not allowing me to get in to my system.

The data space of the process is not enough for the shm segment (1176)
There is no server for the database /usr/lpp/p21pro/db/dyn. (1423)

does anyone out there know anything about this system..Stupid question I know but i have to get if up and running..

If you dont mind I will move this threat to a more appropriate room ( AIX ) as I dont see anything "beginner" in this post but more a AIX sysadm Q.
You said nothing about your OS ( I resume AIX) and version ( the last I saw was my SP2 console and last version on it was 4.3.1 I think or did I leave it in 4.2.3 ? ) but it was, yes long time ago...
We need to know a minimum like the OS version and level ( cmd: oslevel ) then in your case as its a small workstation format, your disk layout using lsvg and df in case to see if we have free space in case of need, last: what is running on this 43P...

What do you mean ? You are connected but this message keeps appearing on your screen? Oh are you using graphics? XWindows GUI?

My first thoughts as I have no idea what is prophet21 acclaim system abut little googling says its an ERP and perhaps you have a progress DB, shm segment this I know better and would suspect is responsible of the second line error

What user is used for prophet/progress db ? And what is the ulimit? But I would say I doubt it be here only this is the first thing to look at... cmd:

ulimit -a 

and should be unlimited...

What is the size of your shared memory? How much RAM on the system?
when total amount of shared memory a process tries to attach to exceeds the OS-allowed limit, you get such error, on a 32bit OS ( which Im sure is the case...) it would be around 1.6 GB ( that is what I had for oracle instances...)
So next Q: how many instances of progress or ?db do you have running?
Is this the first time?
When was the last time the system was rebooted?
If not after a reboot
I suggest to look if more than one instance running at possible shared memory fragmentation, if you see no solution there, then stop the/all instance of db ( because that message means the following line cannot execute and I understand a db instance cant be brought up... So one stopped see what is left in shared memory, is there any memory still attached to db ? If so it should not and remove it - It may be the culprit
And try to start all again
Of course the easiest would be a reboot that would clean the lot... Maybe the easiest and fastest if you can...

A totally different case if it occured just after a reboot of course, which doesnt mean all the above is absurd, but needs to be figured out in what way it could be affected by the sort:
Any new instance added?
Has someone changed any parameters? ( especially for the instance - (like oracle's SGA...)
If not, anything is the system logs??? errpt -a ...

I think i can answer that at least partially: the 43P-140 is a single-processor PowerPC 603e system (Power 3) and therefore the latest AIX version it could run would be AIX 5.1.

Regarding the question: these seem to be both messages of the application, not the OS, so i suppose the problem is with the application. ULIMITs might be a factor, though, at least regarding the first message.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

Kevin,

I have a similar setup here. Running Prophet 21 Acclaim in an AIX. If you are still around I am able to discuss.