Proper configuration management

Recently i started to work in new company. I will replace old admin who is going into retirement and he has been showing me his procedures for server, database and network administration.

From first point of view: there is absolutely no configuration management involved how they deploy software or patches. Yes there is test, development and production systems but I think this is not enough.

For example: I need to make a change. Log into production server, do what do you need to do and log out. Every admin has root access and so on.

My ex. employer had a strict policy how to apply changes in production environment. Every change involved creating system package (RPM, SYSVR4 or IPS), push that package into repository. From there I installed package to test server and if everything was good package would be installed into production. No admin could ever log into production environment.

I know there are tool like Puppet and Chef where I can specify a recipe what to do but I never used them for any serious work.

So my questions are:

1. Is it good to have only three environments (test, development, production) and no other configuration policy in medium-size enterprise?
  2. Is it better to stick with ex. employer policy to bring all changes as system packages or is better to learn some tool like Chef?
  3. How do you perform configuration management?