Promotion! Like Our New Facebook Timeline Page for 10,000 Bits!

Hey!

We have started a new Forum HQ Facebook "Timeline" page where we plan to create a unix/linux timeline with major milestones for unix/linux, company start up dates for major releases, etc.

We are just getting started, so I would like to personally invite you to visit and "Like" our new HQ FB page; and after you do, please post back here and give a comment on what milestones you would like to see in our timeline (and let us know you "liked" our page). Then, for each member who does, I will transfer 10,000 Bits from my account into your account for your "Like" and suggestions!

Thank you!

Neo

I quickly read your post and thought "Nice a timeline on unix.com"

Followed the link and saw a timeline on unix/linux

Then came back and re-read your post and realised that I had read it too fast. :slight_smile:

I would be interested in seeing how unix.com has evolved over the years. If possible.

Thanks.

Oh and I do not use facebook so I could not "like" your page without having to sign up.

Thanks!

We will be adding timeline milestones for the forums as we ramp up; including milestones for when posters reach a certain number of posts, tributes to mods and admins, and such things.

In the beginning, we want to frame the timeline of linux and unix, because without linux and unix, and the major events and milestones for linux and unix, the forums would not exist. So, paying tribute to those before is also a way to pay respect to the great minds and creators of the past.

BTW: You can create a FB account and keep it (nearly) 100% private, and only "like us" if you "like" :slight_smile:

The timeline is a work-in-progress (we just started it two days ago) and we are certainly open to all ideas for the timeline.

Two days, over 200 likes, not great; but not bad either.

See attached comment on our new FB timeline.

Also, in case some members do not like our new FB features, today we added a new User CP option to opt-out (hide) all Facebook features for those who really don't like FB:

1 Like

I am so glad to find this site. I will be sharing with a few fellow Unix/Linux newbies. I have been interested in learning more about Linux and Unix commands in order to better understand the Gentoo build.

I'd think these would make good milestones on the timeline:

The epoch, Jan 1 1970

And from the nice time line posted at UNIX History

AT&T Labs Research UNIX Time-Sharing System First Edition (V1) November 3, 1971 <---- added to FB timeline by Neo

AT&T Labs Research UNIX Time-Sharing System Second Edition (V2) June 12, 1972 <---- added to FB timeline by Neo

1BSD March 9, 1978 <---- already on the FB timeline

XENIX OS August 25, 1980 <---- added to FB timeline by Neo

SunOS 1.0 February 1982 <---- added to FB timeline by Neo

UNIX System V R1 January 1983 <---- added to FB timeline by Neo

HP-UX 1.0 (S500) H1 ??? 1983 <---- added to FB timeline by Neo

AIX/RT 2 ??? 1986 AIX Version 1, introduced in 1986 <---- added to FB timeline by Neo

SunOS 4.1.1 (Solaris 1) November 1990 <---- added to FB timeline by Neo

Linux 0.01 August 1, 1991 <---- first published Linux kernel published in October of 1991

386 BSD 0.0 February 1992 <---- added to FB timeline by Neo

FreeBSD 1.0 December 1993 <---- added to FB timeline by Neo

OpenBSD October 1995 <---- added to FB timeline by Neo

Darwin 1.0 April 5, 2000 <---- added to FB timeline by Neo

OpenSolaris (build 21) July 26, 2005 <---- OpenSolaris first released May 5, 2008 added to FB timeline by Neo

iPhone OS 1.0 June 29, 2007 <---- added to FB timeline by Neo

Android 1.0 September 23, 2008 <---- added to FB timeline by Neo

1 Like

Liked it and pressed the dreaded button... Great job!

Also, please find a beta release of a Facebook Dashboard. More to come, if we ever figure out the Facebook API :wink:

Hi Neo
We can have something as the 'Thread of the day' in which the best thread of the day which could be due to an out-of-the-box solution provided by an expert OR a thread in which some high quality discussions take place.

This will be much useful for unix.com users who are active most of the time but still do not want to miss out on some great discussions.

To find the best thread of the day is little difficult and time consuming to go over the threads due to the sheer amount of threads being created. A new option could be provided to the moderators in the thread page itself where they can cast their vote for being the thread of the day. Just an option.

Guru.

My thoughts are that "Thread of the Day" is too much for the timeline FB page.

This list is "all done" .... thanks again.