Profile Max CPU Setting

I have a system with the following settings:
min:0.10
Assigned: 2.0
Max: 6.0

Partition is uncapped weight is 128.
I would like to know if even if this is uncapped, is the max it can use 6?
The actual pool has 16.
I remember reading about this somewhere but I don't remember can anyone clearify if I am actually allowing the system to use the 16 processors available?
If someone has a link to some kind of document to explain this a bit better would be great!

The "Max" you are referring to is the maximum amount of CPU the LPAR can be entitled to. Since your LPAR is uncapped, the maximum amount of CPU the LPAR can consume is the number of virtual processors x 10. If you have 10 virtual CPUs, the most it can consume is 10 CPUs. If you want to limit the CPU usage, you can do that by limiting the number of VCPUs or capping the LPAR. If you tell us what you are trying to achieve, maybe we can give you some options.

1 Like

thanks! it wasn't for anything i was doing, This was more or less for personal knowledge to clear up a few things I've been wondering.

max cpu is the number of entitled (guaranteed) cpus (or cpu time) you can allocate to your lpar dynamically - without a reboot. Currently you have your lpar entitled to use guaranteed 2 cpus worth of cpu time - which you probably can exceed depending on your virtual cpu configuration and how busy your frame is.

Regards
zxmaus