Procedure to increase file system

Hi,

How/what is the procedure to increase file system in linux server ?

Regards,
Maddy

xfs_growfs or growfs

But it is more complex than that. What exact Linux do you have?

Hi Jim,
[root@tsmp bin]# uname -a
Linux tsmp.europe.nokia.com 2.6.18-194.8.1.el5 #1 SMP Wed Jun 23 10:52:51 EDT 2010 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I just want to know what process takes places from storage and unix side like what would storage and unix team do in order
to increase file system size ?

Regards,
Maddy

It's not a button you push to make it happen. It's not trivial.

Depending on your partition types and layout and how much space is free, that could be as simple as taking an existing partition offline and expanding it into space that's there, to taking your server down for some white-knuckle partition editing, perhaps shrinking some to make room and moving others around. Or perhaps making a brand-new partition to move some files onto it.

1 Like

Hi Corona,

I just need steps like what strage and unix team would do from their side.If steps are easy tell me else not needed.

I just wanted to know how it goes.Not in depth and all.

Thanks,
Maddy

Is this not just a repeat of this thread:- Add the luns to the mount point

I presume you mean the "Storage team", although the "Strange Unix team" would also work for me :rolleyes:

Assuming you have a SAN and a Storage team that manage that, they will need to allocate space (however they do that) and assign it to your host, preferably dual-paths at all points. After that, you can slice/format the space as you see fit (add it to an LVM volume group perhaps) and then grow your filesystem

What have you/your team/the Storage team done so far?

Robin

1 Like

Hi Robin,

Thanks for your reply.

Being DBA i think i have learnt something more about 'how to increase file system '.This is sufficient for me.:slight_smile:

Regards,
Maddy.