Problems with Ubuntu installation

I recently bought a new HP Spectre x360 laptop and installed Linux (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64 bit) for the first time.

I am seeing various bugs. I don't know if the problems are due to:

(a) Hardware problems with the new laptop.

(b) Software issues, i.e. Ubuntu not working with the other programs I have downloaded.

(c) Problems with the resolution I have chosen. Most of the problems seem to be display related. I had issues initially with setting the screen resolution correctly and so I have had to play around a little to get things looking okay with most programs. Screen is 3840 x 2160.

An couple of example of the problems that I am encountering:

When I make a Skype call, I have lots of weird flickering and colour changing etc.

When I use Google Chrome, I sometimes get strange flickering too.

I'm basically trying to isolate my problem before I try to fix it. I know that people have told me to expect Linux to be "buggy" but I don't have a feel of what this means.

Do my problems sound common when trying to use software like Skype and Chrome? Do I need to try a different version of Linux? Do I need to try and fix my resolution issues?

Any advice that might help to point me in the right direction would be great.

Duplicate of http://www.unix.com/unix-for-beginners-questions-and-answers/267453-bugs-my-new-ubuntu-installation.html