Problems using shutdown -u command

I have a smart-ups connected to my OS X Snow Leopard server ver. 10.6. Based on the docs and forums I read, I have been trying to use the software provided by APC, PCNS. I have also tried to just use the UPS communications cable provided and use the OS' "UPS options". Neither of them work exactly how I need them to.

Here are the issues:

1. If I use the UPS options built in the server, it performs a soft shutdown. Once power is restored to the UPS, the server does not turn back on even though the option is set to power back on after a power outtage. (I understand this because the server had a soft shutdown and not a hard or dirty shurdown which causes the server to reboot once power is restored.

2. If I use PCNS (provided by APC), it will perform a soft shutdown but once again, it will not restart once power is restored to the UPS. There is a doc. mentioning on how to "fix" this. I change the shutdown command initiated by PCNS. The only thing this does is allow for a hard or dirty shutdown. Great, now it reboots once power is restored to the UPS... Problem is, I still need to have a soft shutdown so my VM's will shutdown properly.

3. The command I change from APC is a script that calls for the OS shutdown. The default is shutdown -h now. According to APC, I change this to shutdown -f now. (I never saw the -f option in any man page or Apple doc.) I did find one posting and also in several docs about the -u option. The problem here is that it seems to now work.

4. I perform a shutdown command with the -u command and it will not halt the power supplies for 5 min. before shutting down. If I try the command sudo shutdown -u the response is that I am missing a required option such as -h or -r.

So, I am at an impasse. I need to have my OS X server perform a soft shutdown AND power back up after power has been restored. Right now, it seems I can have either or, and that is not a very enticing resolution....

Any suggestions are most welcome. THanks!:confused:

I just use the built in settings in System Preferences for my servers and it seems to work. Sometimes they will hang on shutdown though and will have to be cycled manually. Under the power options in System Preferences