Problems getting DKIM to wotk on Red Hat

We are setting up DKIM to sign outgoing messages only. We have three mail servers, one is Fedora and the other two are Red Hat. The install was relatively easy on the Fedora system, which handles our bulk mailings to perspective students. It took a bit to get the keys and the DNS entry correct, but we've been successfully signing messages for several weeks now. On Red Hat, had problems. While Fedora came with libmilter.a, Red Hat does not. The the server in question is ES4 but I just checked my ES6 (6.4 to be exact) and it does not include libmilter.a. I finally found it in the sendmail distribution and was thus able to compile opendkim. I matched the configuration (including changes to the Postfix main.cf file) with that of the Fedora system. It comes up but does not sign outgoing email. I also noticed that doing a ps on the Fedora box returns:

postfix   8776     1  0 Jul31  ?        00:39:01 /usr/local/sbin/opendkim -x  /usr/local/etc/opendkim.conf -P  /usr/local/var/run/opendkim/opendkim.pid

Opendkim is running as postfix so it has the same privileges as Postfi itself. On the Red Hat system, I get:

dkim      24047     1  0 Aug16 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/perl  -I/usr/local/dkimproxy/lib /usr/local/dkimproxy/bin/dkimproxy.out  --user=dkim --group=dkim --daemonize  --pidfile=/usr/local/dkimproxy/var/run/dkimproxy_out.pid  --conf_file=/usr/local/dkimproxy/etc/dkimproxy_out.conf
dkim      24048 24047  0 Aug16 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/perl  -I/usr/local/dkimproxy/lib /usr/local/dkimproxy/bin/dkimproxy.out  --user=dkim --group=dkim --daemonize  --pidfile=/usr/local/dkimproxy/var/run/dkimproxy_out.pid  --conf_file=/usr/local/dkimproxy/etc/dkimproxy_out.conf
dkim      24049 24047  0 Aug16 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/perl  -I/usr/local/dkimproxy/lib /usr/local/dkimproxy/bin/dkimproxy.out  --user=dkim --group=dkim --daemonize  --pidfile=/usr/local/dkimproxy/var/run/dkimproxy_out.pid  --conf_file=/usr/local/dkimproxy/etc/dkimproxy_out.conf
dkim      24050 24047  0 Aug16 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/perl  -I/usr/local/dkimproxy/lib /usr/local/dkimproxy/bin/dkimproxy.out  --user=dkim --group=dkim --daemonize  --pidfile=/usr/local/dkimproxy/var/run/dkimproxy_out.pid  --conf_file=/usr/local/dkimproxy/etc/dkimproxy_out.conf
dkim      24051 24047  0 Aug16 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/perl  -I/usr/local/dkimproxy/lib /usr/local/dkimproxy/bin/dkimproxy.out  --user=dkim --group=dkim --daemonize  --pidfile=/usr/local/dkimproxy/var/run/dkimproxy_out.pid  --conf_file=/usr/local/dkimproxy/etc/dkimproxy_out.conf
dkim      24052 24047  0 Aug16 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/perl  -I/usr/local/dkimproxy/lib /usr/local/dkimproxy/bin/dkimproxy.out  --user=dkim --group=dkim --daemonize  --pidfile=/usr/local/dkimproxy/var/run/dkimproxy_out.pid  --conf_file=/usr/local/dkimproxy/etc/dkimproxy_out.conf
postfix   24094     1  0 Aug16 ?        00:00:00 /usr/local/sbin/opendkim -x  /usr/local/etc/opendkim.conf -P /usr/local/var/run/opendkim/opendkim.pid

Note that opendkim is running as postfix while the perl based dkimproxy is running as the dkim user.

My first question is why the difference in the ps output between Fedora and Red Hat? Second, are there differnces between the two system that require difference in the configurations between the two systems? I don't see anything that contains either the server address or server name, so I'm confused.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Rob Tanner
Linfield College