Problem's compiling Glib

Hello, I am trying to install glib on my development box - with little/no luck. Below are some details of the box:

SunOS 5.8 Generic_117350-38 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-Enterprise
gcc version 2.95.2 19991024 (release)
GNU Make version 3.78.1, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.
Glib version: glib-2.12.8

I am trying to install it in my home directory (to /gp1/dev/mj_dsup/usr) so I do:

./configure --prefix=/gp1/dev/mj_dsup/usr
make
make install

(Note: I have tried adding --exec-prefix=/gp1/dev/mj_dsup/usr but this only seemed to affect the default directory it (repeatedly!) prompts me for on make install)

For the purpose of this post I piped the make install output to a file, this means its cut out all the prompts form the file (not sure why).

If I am missing any key data from the post please ask and I will be all to happy to provide it.

Below is where the compile bombs out. For completness here is a link to a copy of the make install output (warning 2.5mb - ouch).

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5ZI6Y7HH

(cd /gp1/dev/mj_dsup/usr/usr/lib && { ln -s -f libglib-2.0.so.0.1200.8 libglib-2.0.so.0 || { rm -f libglib-2.0.so.0 && ln -s libglib-2.0.so.0.1200.8 libglib-2.0.so.0; }; })
(cd /gp1/dev/mj_dsup/usr/usr/lib && { ln -s -f libglib-2.0.so.0.1200.8 libglib-2.0.so || { rm -f libglib-2.0.so && ln -s libglib-2.0.so.0.1200.8 libglib-2.0.so; }; })
chmod +x /gp1/dev/mj_dsup/usr/usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0.1200.8
chmod: WARNING: can't access /gp1/dev/mj_dsup/usr/usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0.1200.8
make[5]: Leaving directory `/gp1/dev/mj_dsup/usr/src/glib-2.12.8/glib'
make[5]: *** [install-libLTLIBRARIES] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/gp1/dev/mj_dsup/usr/src/glib-2.12.8/glib'
make[4]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/gp1/dev/mj_dsup/usr/src/glib-2.12.8/glib'
make[3]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/gp1/dev/mj_dsup/usr/src/glib-2.12.8/glib'
make[2]: *** [install] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/gp1/dev/mj_dsup/usr/src/glib-2.12.8'
make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [install] Error 2

So in order to get around the previous problem:
chmod +x /gp1/dev/mj_dsup/usr/usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0.1200.8
chmod: WARNING: can't access /gp1/dev/mj_dsup/usr/usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0.1200.8

I copied the file from the directory make puts it in:
cp /gp1/dev/mj_dsup/usr/usr/.libs/libglib-2.0.so.0.1200.8 /gp1/dev/mj_dsup/usr/usr/src/lib/

Then reran "make install". (Note: I've tried starting again and copying it before running make install but it hasnt helped.)

Now the make install process loops loads, asking "Where should the software be installed" lots and lots. To which I respond "/gp1/dev/mj_dsup/usr", as i specified in the configure --prefix. (This prompting doesnt show in the output file I link later but it asks after saying "*** INSTALLATION HAD FAILURES ***").

Scolling through the output it seems to be running the same things over and over!

Please help!
Matt Jordan

I'm still stuck on this, if anyone can help it would be GREATLY appreciated :slight_smile: