Problem with wireless card

I have a wireless setup in my house and i connect my laptop thru the wireless setup ..
The problem is that one of my other friends has a wireless setup too and his wireless signal comes to my house too ..

The effect is that it drops my service after sometime and connects to it .. then drops that connection and connects back to mine .. Is there some way i can register my card to my service so that the connection is not dropped ..

Thanx
DP

I think you need to have your wireless connection encrypted to stop others from eavesdropping or you from eavesdropping onto another connection.

It also depends on the driver - my Airport card can be forced to use a specific network.

So it seems that both you and your buddy have WEP off - turn it on! Also, the base station may be able to be configured to have a MAC address whitelist. You and your neighbor can both only allow your respective NICs on the wire. That can also solve your wandering...

What you can do depends on what you have, but IMHO, you have to start with MAC isolation. Get into your router and define the mac addresses you want to allow onto your network. This works alot better than WEP, with all due respect, since spoofing a MAC address is much more diffucult than cracking a MAC addy. Next, you want to set your system to use YOUR connection by default whenever it is available. To allow someone else onto your network, you would have to make changes, but if that isn't very often, no biggie. WEP is, as far as I understand, not very secure.