Problem with the Characters!!!

Hi all,

We are porting an application in AIX to windows. If we enter password, it will be encryped and give some characters. (for examplle: M{\d6). If we do the same operation in windows the character after encryption is totally different from what we are getting in Unix. Can anybody help on this?

Help on what? IMHO it's using a different algorithm to encrypt the pw. What's the problem with that? Need a bit more info.

Probably different character maps? Did you write the encryption algorithm yourself or do you rely on some sort of library? If the latter is the case maybe the algorithms are different or just use a different "seed" to come to different results.

A good encryption algorithm gives to different results even with the same input - this way you have no way to get the input from the result without knowing the algorithm and knowing the secret information. An algorithm which gives, for instance, a "B" for every "A" is more likely to be compromised than one which gives a "B" first and a "C" for the next pass and an "X" for the next aso..

I hope this helps.

bakunin

Hi Zaxxon,

Thanks for your reply. I am using Blowfish algorithm to encrypt the password in unix side. If i decrypt the password in AIX it gives for example M�^۫PV. But if i decrypt the same password in windows it gives something like M|#/{PV. Which means it is not correctly decrypting the special characters. Is that anything related to encoding?

Thanks bakunin, Can i have more information on this. Please see my quick reply. I have mentioned clearly there.

With the additional information given it looks like there is a character encoding mismatch. Maybe the AIX side is using ISO-Latin-1 and the Windows side IBM-850 or something such?

I hope this helps.

bakunin