Problem with SSH

Hi guys.

I am using VirtualBox to run Solaris on my host (Windows 7) .
I have setup networking and am able to ping from Solaris to Windows 7 and vice versa.
Now I want to be able to SSH from Windows 7 to my guest (Solaris)

On solaris , the output to
ps -ef | grep ssh shows:

/usr/lib/ssh/sshd running as root.
&
svcs | grep ssh gives
online svc:/network/ssh:default

But there is NO path like /network/ssh in my File system and I cant SSH .
Can anyone help ?

Regards,
Junaid

No ssh in your PATH?

No ssh client on windows? Putty is nice.

The ssh service might be for a web server. The path is 'svc:/' relative, like http:/ and the like.

I like to get 'ssh localhost' working first, on both if they will both be server-side (sshd).

Hi DGPickett

I am relatively new to this all. I have putty on my windows . Everytime I try to ssh , it gives me a Network Error. What do I need to do on my Solaris Machine to enable that ?

Which network error?

How exactly are you using putty?

Well, can you ping the solaris ip? Can you telnet to the Solaris host port 22? Does it tell you and details on the network error? Did you use IP or name?

Secure Shell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I finally got the issue solved. Needed to tweak the system setting on my Virtual box.
Done & Dusted. Thankyou for your help all =)

What did you tweak exactly, for the benefit of future sufferers of the same problem?

In the Virtual box settings for this particular guest , Goto System , in the Extended Features , just check "Enable IO APIC" and then it works !
Remember to enable SSH login for root by editing /etc/ssh/sshd_config

Well, most places root does not ned to be logging in using ssh. The better practices are to have an app record who becomes root when and if possible doing what.