Problem with space

I am in the initial stage of learning UNIX. I got PC with Intel SUN SOLARIS S/W. I am planning to install Oracle on the same machine. I have created /export with more than 3gb space, when I have installed the OS. As a Oracle user when I am trying to create a directory I am able to get only 512 bytes space. Following are my questions.

1) How I can avail atleast 2 GB in a subdirectory under /export ?
2) How to assign space when you make directory?

Thanks in advance..

Suraj

AFAIK, if you are creating a directory, you cant specifically allocate space, basically all of the Unix partition space in which the directory resides should be available to you (unless there are quotas!).

How did you get the 512 bytes number ?

while I was trying to install oracle I got message saying
'insufficient' space. Then using the file manager I checked the information where space is shown as 512 bytes.

Please help me on these.

Regards,

1. How quickly did you get that message after installation ? If right away, then are you sure that you are installing it in the appropriate partition where there is enough space before you start the installation ? Check your file manager space before install to ensure that it is sufficient. Maybe Oracle might also check for space before the actual install.

2. I am no ORACLE expert, but is it looking for a partition or a directory ?

is this a fresh install of unix ?

if so in the installation u should setup or configure partition spaces for root , swap , and u filesystem .

dont do this if this is not a fresh install of unix ..... u need to manually partition spaces so u will not destroy some data very carefully tho ....... by running fdisk .....