problem with rsync

Hi,
I am copying files from one server to the other by rsync utilty.
I am giving a list file to the rsync and i am writing it to the log also.
The problem is that,rsync is not copying the order in which i have given files and links to the list. I can see it, through the log file.
I am giving SEQ_ORDER_LIST to the rsync.
SEQ_ORDER_LIST consists of
file1
link1
file 2
link2
file3
link3

but the log shown is
file1
file2
file3
link1
link2
link3

I want the rsync to copy the files in the order specified in the list file.
so please help me .

The obvious question here is: why does the order matter? Isn't it enough that everything is transfered as intended, especially since any order will probably be ignored/enforced by any program on the other side?

Other than that, you could read the sequence file in a while loop and invoke rsync once for every file. rsync itself doesn't provide any such mechanism as far as I know.

Hi pludi,

Each time rsync tries to connect to remote machine it prompts for password.
So many times i have to give the password to get my work done.
So i cant go for that.

And can you suggest me any laternatives to "mirror server" .
when i have browsed, i have come across names like RAID0 ,drbd,nbd.
I dont whether they really serve my purpose of "mirroring" action.

The password problem can be circumvented by using rsync via ssh+public key authentication, for example.

As for the "mirror server", as you put it, I can't give you any advice since I don't know what you're trying to accomplish? Do you want a backup? Data integrity in case of failures? Shared resources?

Hi pludi,
I am writing a script that copies files and links to a backup server.
I have used rsync for synching .But as it is sortingn in alphabetical order before copying the files and links, the copying order is getting disturbed.
So i am looking for other alternative tools like Unison,bacula,Backuppc, Amanda.
I am not getting which wiil fit my requirement.
Can you pls help me.

OK, so you're copying files to a backup server. Why is the transfer order important? The filesystem doesn't care. The OS doesn't usually care. Any application shouldn't care, except maybe if it processes the files as they come in, and that can be solved with intelligent programming.

Mind you, I'm not trying to promote rsync or talk down any other backup software, I'm just trying to find out what you want and where your requirements come from.

Transfer order is really not important to me.
But i was supposed to write the script in such a way from our tech leads.
Any ways I am switching over to Unison or Bacula.
Is it wise to use bacula or Unison?
Which one will you suggest?

If the transfer order isn't important I don't see a reason to switch to another software. Maybe it'd be better to ask your lead on why they want this requirement.

I can't suggest any of Bacula or Unison since I've never used them.