Problem with NFS

Hi All,

I have shared a directory from Linux machine which will be accessible from other linux servers without any problem. But when I try to access ( ie mount) on other Solaris machine, it is giving below error.

#mount -F nfs IP of nfs server:/share   /localmountpoint
nfs mount : mount: /localmountpoint: not owner

Please help me to get rid of this.

Thanks,
Deepak

---------- Post updated at 03:06 AM ---------- Previous update was at 12:18 AM ----------

I resolved it. While mounting on Solaris machine, I used below command:

#mount -o vers=3 IP_OF_NFS:/share   /LOCAL_mount_point

Thanks,
Deepak

A little information on the "why" of the issue is interesting. The linux NFS server implements the NFSv4 pseudo filesystem (pFS).

Solaris allows NFS version 3 clients direct access to POSIX Access Control Lists stored in its local file systems. This proprietary sideband protocol, known as NFSACL, provides richer access control than mode bits. Linux implements this protocol for compatibility with the Solaris NFS implementation. The NFSACL protocol never became a standard part of the NFS version 3 specification, however.

The NFS version 4 specification mandates a new version of Access Control Lists that are semantically richer than POSIX ACLs. NFS version 4 ACLs are not fully compatible with POSIX ACLs; as such, some translation between the two is required in an environment that mixes POSIX ACLs and NFS version 4.

Cheers,
Keith